Tuesday 15 December 2009

Printers, Netbeans and OOP

Quite a productive day again! I finally fixed a problem with our Samsung ML-1640 printer. It's connected to an Ubuntu server and I have had no problems at all printing from my Ubuntu workstation or a PC running Windows XP: however, printing from a Macbook would throw up errors and occasionally, just print blank pages. It's been driving me to distraction for ages and today, I decided to look at the problem one more time.

The Samsung ML-1640 is a great little printer. Cheap as chips, excellent print quality and fully supported under Linux. My first port of call was to the Samsung website to download a new linux printer driver, which was duly installed on the server. Then I noticed that my Macbook was running with a driver for the ML-1630! So I downloaded the correct driver for the Mac and eventually had everything printing as it should.
The hardest thing was remembering the correct syntax for connecting a network printer to a Windows XP machine using HTTP. Something that I realised AFTER I had deleted the previous instance of the printer in the control panel! But I got there in the end and all of the problems have all been fixed.

I started using Netbeans in anger today. It's a cracking editor, though it can be a bit slow as it checks all of the syntax as you type. I really like the way it's possible to expand and collapse code blocks. The way it highlights instances if variables in a file and braces or brackets is a real boon too.

My attempts at learning Object Oriented PHP are going well too. I had a bit of a shaky start, but I've just finished my first OOP script and the penny is dropping. I have a couple of ideas for mini-projects to consolidate my learning as well as build pieces of code that will be useful for some forthcoming projects.

It's play time now as I've just take delivery of a Bluetooth keyboard for my Macbook!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment